This may be one of those recipes. Those recipes that you read through and thing “that’s too much effort for a side dish”. It’s not, but you’ll never know that until you make them yourself. I have not had one single person eat these at my house that didn’t ask for the recipe.
They really are THAT good.
- 2 lbs small new red potatoes (1½" to 2" diameter)
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 500ºF, and make sure that you have a rack at the top and bottom.
- Put all the potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet and pour a half a cup of water into the pan. Wrap tightly with foil and bake, on the bottom rack, for 30 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven, take the foil off, and soak up any remaining water with paper towel. Drizzle 3 tablespoons over the potatoes, then roll the potatoes around to make sure they are all well coated with the oil. Try to space the potatoes out fairly evenly on the sheet.
- Take a second sheet pan, the same size, and press it down on top of the potatoes, squishing them to roughly ½" thick (if you don't have another pan, you can use a potato masher or the bottom of a glass). Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil evenly over the potatoes, then top with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 20 minutes, then transfer the rack to the bottom rack and continue to bake until well browned and crisp (but the inside of the potatoes should still be fluffy), 20 to 30 more minutes.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 20g