I’ll admit it, the simple task of throwing together some vegetables and roasting them has always seemed daunting to me. I’ve never fully believe that it could be THAT easy. That I could just throw whatever kind of vegetable I wanted onto a baking sheet, pop it in the oven, and call it a day.
This week I made country fried steak again (which Bo tried to convenience me to make again this week, but I refused, it’s time for some new recipes), but I had no idea what to put with it. I hummed and hawed until Bo was leaving work and the kids were starting to act up. I realized that not only did I need to come up with something quickly, but it needed to be hands free. So, I sucked it up, threw together some potatoes and carrots with some oil and herbs, tossed it in the oven, and forgot about them for 30 minutes.
You know what. They were incredibly delicious. It turns out that you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to roast potatoes, or potatoes and carrots, or potatoes and carrots and parsnips (I’m assuming on that last one, I’m planning on roasting that combo next week).
I really did just wing this, so I’m guessing you can add in pretty much want ever you want and it’ll be delicious. Try it.
Here’s what I used: potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic salt, garlic pepper, paprika and oregano.
I put the oil, spices, salt and pepper in a zip lock bag with the potatoes and shock them all up so that they were well coated. Then I dumped the potatoes out onto my baking sheet and put the carrots in the bag (with no additional ingredients) and gave them a quick shake. My thinking was that I wanted the carrots to have a similar flavour to the potatoes, but not to be as seasoned. I don’t know if this really made much of a difference, but they turned out great.
Roast them in a piping hot oven for 30 to 40 minutes, tossing every ten minutes. That’s it. Done.
Oh, you wanted a closer look? If you insist:
Here’s your printable, but feel free to stray from it to use the flavors you know you like. Note that I didn’t measure anything either, I just eye balled it all and you should do the same:
Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- 5 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 8 medium to large carrots
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
Note: All ingredient amounts are rough, estimate based on your own tastes, and ensure that your potatoes and well coated in oil.
- Preheat your oven to 475ºF with a rack in the middle position.
- Cut the potatoes into ¼" wedges and the carrots into similar sized spears.
- Place the potatoes, oil, paprika, garlic salt, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper in a large zip-lock bag and toss to coat well. Dump the potatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet and add the carrots to the bag, toss, then add to the baking sheet.
- Spread the potatoes and carrots out into an even layer and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until well softened, golden, and starting to caramelize.