These cookies are delicious. Like really, really, addictively, delicious. They’re also stolen from my Aunt who makes them every Christmas (thanks Jen!). Which is why I had to make them this Christmas too. See, I stopped by one day, ate one, then knew on my way home that I needed 4 dozen of my own.
You will too, trust me. I gave them to two people who didn’t already have the recipe, and both asked for it. MAKE THEM!
They’re pretty easy to make, and worth absolutely every second.
Start off by putting the shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a medium bowl.
Cream it together.
Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla.
Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and beat until well combined.
This is what you should have. It’ll look a little crumbly, but when you squish it together it holds its shape.
Put a bit of white sugar in a bowl, then roll the dough into 48 1” balls. Roll the balls in the sugar, then put on a baking sheet about 2” apart. Pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
While the cookies are baking, unwrap 48 Hershey kisses. Or 50, but you’ll only need 48, so what you do with the other two is your own business.
Cookies are done! You want them to be cracked and just starting to turn golden brown around the edges.
Look how nice and puffy these are! Quickly now, as soon as them come out of the oven and before they cool, press one Hershey kiss into the center of each cookie.
Viola! The chocolate will melt down the slightest bit while the cookie cools. It really is perfection.
Now, years ago I remember making a variation of this. I’m planning on doing it at some point in the near(ish) future, but in case you want to give it a shot yourself, here’s the gist of it. I got a mini muffin tin and lined them with papers (no mess). I put the rolled ball of dough in the tin, then pressed one mini reeces peanut butter cup into each ball of dough (so the top of the chocolate was flush with the cookie dough). The cookie then bakes up around the chocolate.
Here’s your printable:
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- sugar for rolling
- 28 Hershey kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF with a rack in the middle position.
- Cream together the shortening, peanut butter and sugars.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Beat until well combined.
- Roll dough into 48 (1") balls, then roll the balls in white sugar. Place on a lined baking sheet 2" apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are just starting to turn golden brown.
- As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, press one Hershey kiss into the top of each cookie. Remove cookies to rack to cool.