I was stuck trying to think of something different for Oliver for lunch. I opened the crisper and saw the pile of green peppers that I’d forgotten I’d bought, then I looked to the island and saw all the sweet onions. I didn’t really have a choice, what ever it was I was making, it was going to be chop full of those two things.
I made a pizza for lunch on the weekend, so I had some leftover pepperoni, cheese and sauce, and some tortillas (which to be honest, I have no idea why I actually bought those last week, but I’m glad I did).
This was a HUGE lesson to me. Sometimes you don’t need a plan, or a schedule. Some times it’s best just to walk into your kitchen and look at what you have a lot of and go from there. This lunch, it was incredible, and Oliver ate all of it (though getting him to take that first bite was a fight, and I still have no idea why).
These are really fast and easy to make too! Start to finish is about 15 minutes, including prep!
Did I mention healthy? Yep, these are healthy as well. Seriously, it’s like a miracle lunch!
Throw your onions and peppers in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
No need for this picture other then, damn they look pretty!
Once they’ve just started to sweat down a little bit, add some salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
While the onions and peppers are cooking, spread about a tablespoon of pizza sauce down the center of each tortilla.
Top with about a tablespoon of grated cheese.
Peppers and onions are perfect! Nice and soft and just starting to brown.
Add a quarter of the pepper and onion mixture to each tortilla. Use tongs to do this, it’s so easy that way!
Top each one with three slices of pepperoni.
Ok, these are looking good!
Now, fold over one side, then the second side (like this).
Place seam side down in your now empty skillet. You’re going to cook it for about a minute on each side, just to lightly brown the tortilla, warm the sauce, and melt the cheese. Always start seam side down to seal the fold.
After the flip:
Delicious! You’ll be surprised at just how filling these are too!
Here’s you printable:
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ large sweet onion, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium (7") tortillas
- 4 tbsp pizza sauce
- 4 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 pepperoni slices
- Add the onions and peppers to a medium skillet over med-high heat and cook, stirring frequently. When just starting to sweat down, add the drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Continue cooking until softened and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking, spread 1 tbsp of pizza sauce down the center of each tortilla. Top the sauce with 1 tbsp of cheese.
- Add the cooked onions and peppers, splitting equally amongst the tortillas. Top the pepper mixture with three slices of pepperoni, per tortilla.
- Fold one side of the tortilla over the mixture, then fold in the other side (like and envelope).
- Place each tortilla back in the pan, over medium-high heat, seam side down, and cook for about 1 minute on each side, just long enough to lightly brown.