Today we’re going to start with a relaxation exercise. Imagine biting into a cloud; a sweet, fluffy cloud that tastes like it was kissed by a lemon. Exercise over. This is exactly what it feels like you’re doing when you eat this little cake.
This is hands down the moistest little cake I’ve ever made or had. It’s got to be from all the egg whites in it, turning it into a cake soufflé of sorts. Don’t let all the lemon freshness fool you either. It’s got some honey and almonds in there too. Such a little cake, so much punch.
Guess what else.
It’s insanely easy and quick to make.
All together now: show stopper.
Put the flour, ground almonds and icing sugar in a medium bowl.
Whisk them together.
In a large bowl, beat your egg whites until really foamy and soft peaks just form.
Slowly whisk the sugar mixture into the egg whites (this is once it’s all incorporated). Note that I used an electric whisk for all the whisking, don’t be afraid to.
Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey (whisk them in).
Add the melted butter (whisk it in).
Divide the batter between 24 muffin cups. Make sure that you grease them really well first. Throw them in the over for 15 minutes. (For greasing, I swear by the cristco and flour spray that you can buy. We don’t actually have it in Canada, but I stock up when we go to the states. A friend did sent me a what to make it at home, so I’ll try to get that up next week for everyone ).
Pure perfection. Make sure to let them cool completely on a wire rack, then dust the tops with icing sugar.
It’s about now that I’m really pissed at Bo and Oliver for eating the last of these last night.
I quickly candied some lemon peel, but when I say quick I mean quick, with a ton of short cuts and half the time. This meant that while it looked candied, it didn’t taste candied. One day I’ll actually take the time to do it properly.
Alright, last one, I swear. But didn’t they just look fantastic with the Southern tea cakes I made too!
Here’s your printable:
- 1? cup icing sugar , plus more for dusting
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 6 large egg whites
- 13 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF with a rack in the middle position. Grease two 12 cup muffin tins (do not line with paper).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, and ground almonds.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks just form.
- Slowly whisk the sugar mixture into the egg whites.
- Whisk in the honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, and melted butter.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until dark golden around the edges and firm to the touch. Immediately remove the cakes from the muffin tins and set on wire racks to cool. Once cool dust with additional icing sugar.