Sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy, bite size pieces of Utopia (have I sold you yet?). These are one of the easiest little things you can whip up, and great when you’re having people over. You can just fill up a bowl of them and let people pick. Trust me, they’ll become one of your standards, right next to the bowls of almonds and pretzels.
Did I mention that there are only three ingredients? And that from start to finish you’re looking at 20 minutes, and only 5 of those are actually hands on? They just get better and better.
Now for the warning. When you see the three ingredients you’ll think, gross. Or weird. Or, she’s lost her mind. Trust me. Just make them once, give them a shot. You’ll be quite surprised. Even Bo likes these, and he never likes anything sweet that I make.
Alright, here’s what you need: 1 box of ritz crackers, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 bag of Werther’s hard caramels.
Just leave the crackers in their bag (don’t open it yet), but unwrap the Werther’s and put them in a zip lock bag. Get out your rolling pin, and beat the crap out of both of them. This is a great way to get all that stress out from the kids, and the new puppy, the lack of sleep, the….sorry, I digress.
Ta da! With the crackers, if there are any really large pieces left, just use your hands to break them up.
Put the crackers and caramels in a medium bowl.
Pour in the sweetened condensed milk.
Mix it all up with a fork.
Just dump it onto a lined cookie sheet (line it with a baking mat, or some parchment paper).
Press it down to an even thickness, about half an inch. Throw it in the oven for 15 minutes.
Here it is straight out of the oven.
Throw a piece of parchment down on your counter, then use a spatula and just plop the mixture from the baking sheet to the parchment. As it starts to cool, break it apart into bit size chunks like this.
Yep, they’re delicious. Crunchy, sweet, salty, chewy in spots. Just so darn good.
See how pretty they look in a nice little bowl.
Alright, one close up, but that’s it!
Here’s you printable:
- 1 box Ritz crackers (225g)
- 1 bag Werther's Original Hard Candy (180g)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a mat or parchment paper.
- Unwrap the caramels, place in a zip lock bag, and use a rolling pin to break into small pieces. Do the same to break the crackers into small pieces.
- Put the broken crackers, caramels, and condensed milk into a medium bowl and mix well with a fork.
- Dump the mixture on the the prepared baking sheet, and use a spatula to spread out to an even, ½" thickness.
- Bake for 15 minutes. While the bites are baking lay a sheet of parchment paper on your counter. Dump the cooked mixture onto the parchment, and as it cools use two spoons to break it up into bite size pieces. Let cool completely before eating.