Alright, this has to be one of the quickest and easiest things you’ll find to make. The day I made these, I did them as a side. I made some fresh cheese ravioli in a light tomato sauce, and I knew that Bo would be looking for a hit of meat somewhere (he’s not a big fan of fresh tomato sauce either, so I was trying to give him something to get excited about). This is a 4 ingredient, 5 minute prep dish that comes out of the oven looking like the best thing you’re ever going to put in your mouth. And I mean that. The key to them though is eat them straight out of the oven, when they’re still nice and hot, and the cheese bubbly. These would work great as an appetizer at a party too!
Let’s get to it:
Get three Italian sausages. Sweet for the average (Bo), spicy if that’s your thing.
Empty the meat from the casings into a bowl.
Add the cheese and fennel seeds (Note: Bo found the fennel taste too strong, so I won’t be using them next time, but I liked the flavour. If you like black liquorice you’re like them)
Mix everything together until it’s kinda crumbly.
Slice your bread thinly and place on a baking sheet. They were out of Italian loafs at our bakery so I used a baguette.
Top with the meat mixture. Don’t put too much on each piece.
Ready for the oven.
15 minutes later and this is what you’ve got.
Here’s your printable:
- 3 Italian sausages
- 5 ounces stracchino cheese, like taleggio or robiola. If you can't find, use mozzerella
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 6 thin slices of country style bread, cut in half. If you can't find use a baguette
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position.
- Empty the sausage casings into a bowl. Add the cheese and fennel seeds, and mix until well combined and crumbly.
- Place the thinly sliced bread onto a baking sheet and top sparingly with sausage mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes until sausage is cooked and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve warm straight out of the oven.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 6 as appetizer or side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1560Total Fat: 93gCarbohydrates: 117gProtein: 63g