I’ll boast a lot about the food I cook… “This is really good” or “You’ve got to try out this one, you’ll love it”. But with all of those meals, there’s always a little room for improvement. This recipe though, this recipe has been THE apple crisp for us for over a decade now. It’s the one everyone loves from first bite, the one everyone wants the recipe to.
And here’s the biggest shocker: It’s the one that is just so, SO easy to make. It’s my go-to dessert if I’m in a pinch, or I’ve got company coming over. The hardest part is just cutting up the apples, and that takes a whole five minutes. Slice them nice and thin, like this:
The apple crisp is super easy to make. Just slice up all the apples and toss them into your baking dish. Whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon and pour that over the apples. Toss them with a spoon and add the water, then just mix together the crumble and put it on top. 45 minutes later it’s out of the oven and making your house smell incredible!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner (Hi fellow Canadians!), and we’re right in the heart of apple season, so it’s the perfect time to show this one off. You know what my favourite part about the holiday season is? Giving stuff away, and I’m starting things off this year with a 2.5 Quart Vermillion Baker from CW by CorningWare for one of my fellow Canadians! Wondering what CW by CorningWare is? It’s the same trusted CorningWare that we’ve been using forever, they’ve just made it really fun with some bright new colours (like teal, my favourite!!)
GIVEAWAY TIME! We’re going to do this super easily this time, just leave me a comment on this post, either about the recipe, or something you love to make for the holidays. The winner will be picked at random on Monday October 12, 2015. The winner will receive a 2.5 Quart Vermillion Baker from CW by CorningWare (Retail value $21.99), shipped straight to their door within about 4 weeks. It’s open to all residents of Canada with a valid address (sorry, it can’t be shipped to P.O. Boxes). Good luck everyone, and have a FABULOUS Thanksgiving!
UPDATE: Congratulations to Karla Sceviour for winning the 2.5 Quart Vermillion Baker from CW by CorningWare!
- 10 small apples, peeled and sliced thinly (Gala for a sweeter crisp, Granny Smith for a tarter one)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup water (if you like a runnier crisp, you can use up to ½ cup)
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Pre-heat your oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position.
- Put the apple slices into a large oven safe dish.
- Whisk together the 1 tablespoon of flour, white sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkly evenly over top of the apples, then toss with a spoon to coat. Pour the water over the apples, do not mix.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oats, 2 cups flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour in the melted butter and mix well to combine (just use your hands). The mixture should form medium chunks.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown, and the filling is bubbling up at the edges.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 2gCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 7g
Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by World Kitchen and I have been compensated monetarily and with product. All opinions and recipes in this post are my own.