Cajun style chicken breasts stuffed with mozzarella cheese and sautéed peppers and onions, then grilled, make for a quick and easy weeknight meal that’s not short on flavour!
I have been running my new BBQ through all the paces and loving every second of it! With Oliver and Anna playing sports three nights a week already (lord help me when Sophie starts, seriously, and everyone please keep the Mother from Anna’s soccer team whose husband signed both of their kids up for BOTH soccer and baseball this summer in your thoughts, I worry for her), quick meals I can make before the games for the kids, and again after the games for Bo and I, are a life saver. Take out was ok that first week, but when I realized I had TWO MONTHS of this left, I figured I would have to figure out a way to cook on those crazy nights.
Our family is a Cajun loving family. As long as I throw Cajun seasoning on it, I’ve guaranteed that the kids will eat it. I wanted more than just some seasoned chicken on the grill though. I wanted something oozing out of the chicken, I wanted extra kicks of flavour in every bite. Ok, fine, so I just wanted some cheese in there. Cheese makes everything better, I acknowledge this, and I own it.
It couldn’t be just cheese though (well, it could be, but then everyone would be on to me). I’m trying to add more vegetables to all of our meals now that Bo’s got type 2, and we’ve said goodbye to potatoes and pasta as a frequent staple. I grabbed a bell pepper and an onion, and sautéed them down with some Cajun seasoning until just a little crunch was left. Cut a slit in the side of your chicken breasts, jam in some shredded cheese and the pepper and onion mixture, then poke the ever loving hell out of it with toothpicks to make sure it all stays together (it did, no leaks all over the new BBQ, phew!).
I mean COME ON! Look at that! Grilled for just a few minutes on each side, that mozzarella cheese just starting to ooze out, and packed with flavour inside and out thanks to that Cajun seasoning. Even with prep and sautéing the veggies, this was a dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- cajun seasoning
- tooth picks
- Prep your chicken breasts by cutting a pocket into the side of them with a sharp knife. Make sure you don't go all the way through.
- Sauté your peppers and onions in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning and sauté until the veggies have softened and there is just a little crunch left in them, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Stuff 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and an equal amount of the pepper mixture into each chicken breast. Use toothpicks to secure the breasts so that it doesn't open and spill out on the grill (I used between 3 and 4 toothpicks per breast).
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts generously with Cajun seasoning. Use your fingers to coat one side of the breasts with olive oil.
- Make sure you've preheated your grill for at least 10 minutes before adding the chicken. Place the chicken breasts, oil side down, over medium-high heat. Grill for 5 minutes per side, then double check that you've reached 160ºF. If your chicken breasts are really thick you may need a few extra minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.