With hockey ramping up, and the superbowl just around the corner, these buffalo chicken enchiladas with a cooling Gay Lea sour cream and jalapeno white sauce are exactly what the hungry guys in your life will go crazy over (and if you like just a little bit of heat like I do, you’ll love them too!).
Seeing as this is a recipe for the men in our lives, I figured I’d introduce you to the main one in mine. I’m not sure I believe in the whole love at first sight thing, but boy was I ever hooked. I was 17, walked into my first english class at a new school, and that was it. I was done. Thankfully he was friends with the only person I knew in the entire school at that point so I had an in. Plus, I spent the next two weeks just kinda staring at him. It was a slow start – I say because he was shy; he’ll probably say because I was intimidating. Details.
Thankfully, Bo was able to look past my ridiculousness (like going to the zoo in March while it was snowing in flip flops), and put up with my special level of crazy, through the next (almost) 17 years and three kids. Without him always behind me, pushing me forward, I wouldn’t be doing what I love (staying home with those three insane kids and blogging). And he does that; supports (makes fun of), pushes (nags), helps (makes laugh), all while still working his own ass off at work, and at home, and he has since the very beginning. He was all in as a Dad from that very first day in the NICU with Oliver…
All the way to now (I will not believe you if you tell me there is something more patience wearing then trying to teach a 5 year old how to golf at 10pm at night after a busy day in Florida).
He’s not one to cook (like, ever – not even at the grill), but he is the one who coaches our daughter’s soccer team, and wakes up early every Saturday and Sunday morning to make sure Oliver and Anna are at hockey.
At the end of our days I’m usually exhausted, a little beat down from cleaning paint off the table three times, talking at least 2 of the 3 kids down from the ledge of a meltdown, and often “adorably” cranky. What I’m saying is, I don’t run to the door and greet him with my arms around his neck and a big kiss as often as he deserves. What I do though, is put down a hot plate of food. One that I’ve put thought, effort, and love into, and when we sit down beside each other, and I bump into his arm and smile at him, I know he knows just how much I love him, and appreciate all that he does.
With him in mind, I wanted to make the ultimate enchiladas for him – one of his favorite dishes that he’s been asking me to make. Chicken wings (another favorite in our house) were actually my first thought, until I realized that I could combine the two flavours!
Here’s everything you need for the white sauce.
After the sauce is made, it’s time for a quick mix in a big bowl.
And then it’s assembly time!
I was a little worried about the heat though, you don’t want it to be overpowering, and that’s where the Gay Lea Sour Cream white sauce really shines! It’s a perfect balance to the heat (even with the jalapenos added!). You pour the rest of it over top, sprinkle on some cheese, then pop it in the oven!
Nothing goes better with any form of Mexican food than Pico de Gallo too, and the extra five minutes you spend dicing it up are well worth it! Cheers to all the guys in our lives, big and small – to Husbands, Fathers, Papas, Sons, Uncles, Nephews, Cousins, and Friends that are always there to support us and bring a smile to our faces – we love you and appreciate you!
- 4 tbsp butter (I use Gay Lea)
- 4 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup light sour cream (I use Gay Lea)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 large jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (can substitute 3 poached chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I use a light Mexican mix of cheddar, Monterey jack, and queso blanco)
- 12 medium flour tortillas
Pico do Gallo
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and cumin. Whisk until bubbly and light golden in colour, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring until thickened (about 30 seconds). Add the sour cream and chicken broth, and whisk until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the jalapeños. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position. Pour 1/2 cup of the white sauce in the bottom of your baking dish, and spread to evenly coat.
- Put the shredded chicken in a large bowl. Add the hot sauce, corn, green onions, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup of the white sauce, and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Spread two heaping spoonfuls of the filling down the center of a tortilla, then roll it up tightly and place in the prepared dish seam side down (to prevent your tortillas from cracking, microwave them for 30 seconds before adding the filling). Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour the remaining white sauce over the top of the enchiladas, and use a spatula to smooth it out to the edges. Top with the remaining cheese and a drizzle of hot sauce (optional).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the sauce and cheese is bubbling.
Pico de Gallo
- While the enchiladas are baking, make the pico de gallo. Simply put all the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Top each plate of enchiladas with a couple spoonfuls of pico de gallo.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 44gCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 25g
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Gay Lea and I received Compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.