I really wasn’t sure what this was last night, and it took me looking at the pictures this morning again to figure out what exactly I’d concocted. What it was was a flakey, and a delicious one at that! Don’t be scared off by the strange line drawings, it was easier to draw it out then explain it, and this really is one of the easiest treats to make!
See below the recipe for how to cut the puff pastry!
Home Made Flakey’s
Yield: 4 flakey's
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 sheet of pre-made puff pastry dough (in the freezer asle)
- 1 egg, beaten
- large decorating sugar
- ½ cup lemon curd, berry curd, or jam of your choice
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Pre-heat your oven according to the directions on the box of puff pastry (usually 350°F), and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the sheet of pastry, and following the diagrams below, cut into four rectangles and extra edging pieces. Brush the edges of all pieces with the beaten egg, then place the edging pieces onto the main squares. You're basically framing the squares of puff pastry to make a little "boat" once it cooks.
- Brush the edges again with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with the large decorating sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden and puffed.
- While the pastry is baking, make the meringue. Beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar until starting to foam. Gradually add the sugar, then continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- When the pastry is cooked, push down the inside of the "boats" with the back of a spoon. Split the curd or jam between the four "boats", spreading in an even layer. Top with meringue, then return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes, until the peaks are just turning golden.
Puff Pastry Cutting Diagrams:
Start out with a whole sheet of pastry
Cut into quarters.
Here are the quarters.
Cut the edges of each of the quarters like this.
Discard the filled in squares, you don’t need them.
After brushing the edges with the beaten eggs, lay the cut edges on top of the main square as shows above. Then, brush these edges with egg again and sprinkle with the sugar.
Let me know below!