This is a favourite amungst both my side of the family, and Bo’s. My mom’s got her version, my Nana has her’s, and Jenny’s got her’s too. Now, I’ve finally got my own!
This isn’t to say that everyone else’s wasn’t good enough for me. The issue was that no one could ever remember exactly what portions they used of the ingredients, which meant that 50% of the time it was great, and 50% of the time it was either too runny, or too hard.
So, I made it a couple of times, and actually remembered to measure what I was throwing in, and I’ve finally got it down. Yes!
- 1 pkg cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tbsp taco seasoning (optional)
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 ½ c shredded cheese (I like a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
- Shred the cheese that you want to use.
- Put the cream cheese in the bowl of a food processor and mix until smooth. Add the sour cream and taco seasoning and mix until well combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly in the bottom of a glass baking dish. Top with the salsa, then with the shredded cheese. Chill until the cheese firms back up a bit, about 30 minutes. If you’re in a rush, it’s find to eat right away.
NOTE: There are all kinds of other things you can add in here, like freshly chopping jalapeños, onions or peppers. I prefer to leave it as is, and just bump up the flavor by using home made salsa when I have an extra jar lying around.