Here’s a quick and easy recipe to change-up your breakfast routine. I get bored some times of the waffles, pancakes, french toast, eggs and bacon (though I will say that these are an awesome compliment to the eggs and bacon if you’re doing a big brunch style breakfast), etc. Some times it’s just nice to make a plate of something that you can pick at throughout the morning. And afternoon. And evening until they’re completely gone. Not that I’m saying this has happened before.
Oliver’s quite the fan of them too, but how couldn’t he be. They’re little muffins rolled in cinnamon sugar. There is absolutely nothing not to like here. Let’s get to it!
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
In a large bowl cream together the shortening and sugar.
Beat in the egg.
Beat in a third of the flour mixture.
Beat in half of the milk.
Now half of the remaining flour.
Then the last of the milk, and the last of the flour.
Grease your muffin tins then portion out the batter among 12 muffin cups. Mini muffin tins work great too, especially if they’re part of a larger breakfast or brunch… remember that they’ll cook a little faster though. Pop them in the oven now.
While the muffins are baking melt your butter and mix together your cinnamon and sugar.
Fresh from the oven, note that they’re just lightly brown around the edges and on the tips. This is perfect, a toothpick inserted in the center will come out nice and clean.
Now, you want to work fairly quickly here. Set a cooling rack over some foil or paper towel to save yourself from cleaning a big mess up after. Get the muffins out of the tin as quickly as you can, while they’re still hot.
Dunk them into the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
I mean, come on.
He was fairly patient…I guess.
Here’s your printable:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position. Grease 12 muffin cups, and get a cooling rack set over some paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening. Beat in egg. Beat the flour mixture into the shortening mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk. Beat well, until uniform in colour and consistency.
- Portion the batter evenly among the greased muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the muffins are baking get your topping ready by whisking together the sugar and cinnamon.
- As soon as the muffins come out of the oven dip them into the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Let cool slightly on the cooling rack before eating
These are great as 24 mini muffins as well, just be sure to decrease the cooking time accordingly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617.28 Total Fat: 69.09g Carbohydrates: 2.14g Protein: 0.82g