Ok, here it is, my go-to, can’t be beat, ultimate cream cheese whipped frosting. I put this on everything now – banana bars (pictured below), carrot cake, muffins, cinnamon buns, etc. If you’ve ever had cinnabun, this is a dead ringer for their frosting (super light and fluffy). Did you catch that? We’re talking clone of cinnabun’s frosting here.
The key to the texture is letting it whip in your mixer for a long time. 12 minutes. If you’re working with a hand mixer, you will not want to do this. There have been days where I haven’t wanted to wait for the stand mixer to go, so just whip it as long as you can stand to with your hand mixer. The taste is the same (delicious), it just won’t be quite as airy.
- ½ cup margarine or softened butter (or ¼ cup each margarine and softened butter)
- ½ cup cream cheese (half of a package)
- 1 lb icing sugar (also known as confectioners sugar)
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Put the margarine and cream cheese into the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as required.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the powdered sugar until combined. Turn the mixer up to high, and let whip for 12 minutes. Check a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom, making sure nothing is sticking there.
- Add the lemon juice and vanilla, and whip just until combined. Keep refrigerated.