I make a lot of banana muffins in this house. Everyone loves them for breakfast, or a snack, but every once in a while I want something a little different (meaning, with frosting). On those days I turn to banana bars. I *may* have given this to the kids for breakfast once or twice, and it *may* be an awesome incentive to clean up after themselves.
“Oliver, Anna, if you guys clean up the toy room, I’ll let you have cake for breakfast”
You will never see your children run so fast to do something for you. I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying it works.
The bars are incredibly moist and full of flavour. The best part: the slightly browned edges. They’re crisp and taste almost of caramel, where the sugars in the banana just kinda melted together. Seriously, I’m drooling right now. And I’m wishing I had some more bananas, but I used them up on muffins yesterday.
I always top this with my cinna-clone whipped cream cheese frosting, and I highly recommend you do too. If you use the whole recipe, you’ll have a thick layer (what you see in the picture). You could definitely half the frosting recipe though, and still have a good amount on the bars, without overpowering them (if your sweet tooth isn’t quite as demanding as Anna and mine).
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 3 very ripe medium to large bananas
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cream cheese frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position. Grease a jellyroll pan (10" x 15').
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the four, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add the bananas and beat until like a thick soup, with a few small chunks. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Pour in the flour mixture, and mix together with a wooden spoon until just combined. All the flour should be incorporated, with no dry spots.
- Pour into the prepared pan, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The edges will be slightly browned.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1436.03 Total Fat: 6.02g Carbohydrates: 302.51g Protein: 44.84g