We’re at the rec center twice a week now. Once for the kids swimming, and a second time for Oliver’s hockey. After every visit, the kids beg (and usually get) a trip to the snack stand where they talk us into a slush puppy (because what better drink is there when you’re wet and/or sweaty before heading out to this lovely -16 degree weather). Oliver also always asks for one of their store bought, week old, horribly dry looking chocolate muffins. And I can’t. I just can’t do it. So every week I promise that I will make him some fresh ones at home… and then I completely forget to.
Until last Thursday, and man, was I ever in the good books when he came home from school to these! Double bonus, he won’t bug for them anymore at the rink either. The slush puppy though… well, as long as they have lemon-lime, the kids know I’m an easy target.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Demerara sugar for tops (or other large grain sugar, like turbinado)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position. Grease a jumbo 12 cup muffin tin (or 16 regular sized).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs on medium-high speed. Slowly stream in the sugar, and continue beating until the mixture is pale and thickened (it will fall like a ribbon from the beater).
- Beat in the oil, sour cream, and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, and mix on low speed just until the flour is combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling them right to the top isn't an issue. Generously sprinkle the sugar over the tops. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
These are a nice dense muffin. Definitely a muffin though, so don't expect a light, cake-like texture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1023.44 Total Fat: 4.58g Carbohydrates: 199.2g Protein: 39.98g