It’s Friday morning, and man, am I ever glad that it’s finally Friday morning. The last two weeks have felt like they just dragged on for ever, and I’m really looking forward to two days where we don’t really have anything planned. Well, I shouldn’t say nothing. I’m about to embark on a two hour round trip to get a pair of turquoise suede pumps… because sometimes you see something and you just need it, especially when it’s on a ridiculous clearance (and they’re turquoise!!!). Then, I will spend Saturday standing in those pumps (because when I have something new, I just HAVE to wear it) and direct Bo while he switches out the babies crib to a bed, because the little bugger climbed out.
This is why it’s a great morning to share this simple chocolate cake recipe. It’s Bo’s favourite way to eat a cake – no icing, no filling, no complication. Just a really good chocolate cake baked up in a sheet pan and topped with icing sugar. You mix everything up really quickly in one bowl, pour it into your baking pan, and you’re done.
It’s the “say no to cake boxes” recipe, because it’s just as easy.
Enjoy!! And in case you’re curious… the 2 hour trip shoe picture is after the recipe! I LOVE them!!!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF with a rack in the middle position. Grease a large rectangular cake pan (at least 9"x13").
- Put the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat for two minutes. Stir in the boiling water until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes, give or take, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving. Great dusted with icing sugar, or served with whipped cream.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207.34 Total Fat: 8.04g Carbohydrates: 13.25g Protein: 14.87g