This is one of the easiest things in the world to make, and it is so great. So much better then those boxed granola style cereals that you buy, and it’s fantastic sprinkled on top of yogurt or ice cream.
You can add basically anything that you like to it as well, this recipe is just for the one I made today. Be creative, you can even add things to it once it’s cooked and crumbled like I do. I always toss in some raisins for Oliver, because I hate raisins. I really, really hate raisins, and that way I can keep all the raisins contained in his bowl. I hate raisins so much I can’t even stomach the thought of picking them out.
First up, throw some oats, nuts (walnuts and almonds this time) and coconut in a medium bowl.
Put some maple syrup, honey, corn syrup and vanilla in a glass measuring cup, and microwave until warm.
Give the oat mixture a stir.
Pour in the warm syrup mixture.
And stir everything together.
Spread it evenly into a rimmed baking sheet and toss it in the oven.
Give it a stir every five minutes. If I’m not lying, sometimes I do this every ten. It’s hard to find the time every five with Oliver running around most mornings. Just know that it might stick a little more to your pan after ten minutes. You’ll do this for a total of about 30 minutes, until the granola is golden brown.
Take it out, and we’re all done if you want a nice and loose granola.
See how pretty. Great for yogurt and ice cream right now.
Hold on, what happened here. Chocolate seems to be invading my perfect granola.
It really couldn’t be helped. The chocolate chips are kept right beside the oats in my pantry. They belong together. It would have been wrong of me to keep them apart. So, sprinkle some over the top. If you want a truly chocolate granola though, add the chocolate chips to the oat mixture before baking, then they melt in the oven and lightly coat everything when you toss it. That’s also ridiculously delicious.
I like my granola chunky. All you have to do to get this is press it all down into a flat, even layer right when it comes out of the oven. The bottom of a glass is fantastic for this.
Let it cool completely in the pan, then break it up with a metal spatula. I’ve gotta run now, I’ve got a tub full of this downstairs and it’s calling me.
Here’s the printable:
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups quick rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325ºF with a rack in the middle position.
- Put the maple syrup, honey, corn syrup, vegetable oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds, until warmed.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, coconut and any other additions you may choose to make. Pour in the maple syrup mixture and stir until well combined. Spread the granola evenly in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring every five minutes, for a total of 30 minutes, or until the granola has turned a golden brown.
- For a chunky granola, use the bottom of a glass to press the granola into an even layer as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let cool completely, then break up into pieces using a metal spatula.